What information do we collect?
We primarily collect personal information that is necessary for us to conduct our gas distribution business. Personal information is any information that can be used to identify you and may include:
- Your name, address, occupation and contact details (address, telephone numbers and email address);
- Information about your dealings with us or about our services;
- Your bank account details;
- Your Tax File Number (TFN);
- Other personal information you may disclose to us when you contact us or request a service from us, or which is contained in communications between you and us.
Where relevant we may ask you for other information, for example, qualifications and employment history if you are applying for employment with us as well as bank account and superannuation account details and a tax file number if you obtain employment with us.
How do we collect and hold your personal information?
We usually collect personal information in the following ways:
- Directly from you, either in person, in documents, by email or via the Australian Gas Networks website;
- From third parties, such as an agent acting on your behalf;
- From publicly available resources.
If we collect your personal information from an agent acting on your behalf, we will seek some indication that the party contacting us is your authorised agent.
We hold personal information in hard copy and electronic files.
If your personal information is no longer needed, Australian Gas Networks will take reasonable steps to destroy or permanently de-identify it.
If you were a shareholder, your records remain securely stored for the period of time we are required or permitted by law to retain those records.
Collection of information from the Australian Gas Networks website
When using the Australian Gas Networks website you may voluntarily disclose personal information to us. Our server may automatically record details such as your internet address, domain name if applicable, and the date and time of your visit to our website. This information is used for internal purposes only, including statistical purposes.
We will not try to identify users or their browsing activities except as necessary to investigate or report any suspected unlawful activity, as required or authorised by law or as reasonably necessary for the activity of an enforcement body.
Why do we collect personal information and what are the consequences of not providing us with the information requested?
Generally, we collect personal information about you for the provision of our services, to meet our obligations to you as well as to enable us to conduct our gas distribution business and improve and promote the services we provide. We also collect personal information so you can seek employment with us or communicate with us in writing, by e-mail, telephone or via the Australian Gas Networks website. Our ability to meet our obligations to you, your business or to process any application may be adversely affected if you do not give us the requested personal information, or if the information you give us is incomplete or inaccurate.
How do we use your personal information?
We use personal information primarily to provide and manage our products and services to you in the ordinary course of conducting our gas distribution business. We may also use personal information to:
- To manage our relationship with you and improve the services we provide;
- Assess applications for employment.
If we intend to use any of your personal information for direct marketing, such as by adding you to a marketing database, and you have not already consented to this use, we will notify you and will provide you with an opportunity to opt out.
To whom do we disclose personal information?
We will only disclose personal information for the purpose for which it was collected or in the following circumstances:
- to companies within the APA Group who operate and manage Australian Gas Networks’ gas distribution networks as independent contractors;
- to other contractors, agents, suppliers and gas retailers who assist us in servicing you or communicating with you;
- where required or authorised by law or otherwise as permitted under the Privacy Act;
- where you consent or have authorised the disclosure.
Cross-border disclosure of personal information
How secure and accurate is your personal information?
We will take reasonable steps to ensure that all personal information we hold is:
- accurate, complete, up-to-date, relevant and not misleading;
- stored in a secure environment; and
- protected from misuse, interference and loss as well as unauthorised access, modification or disclosure.
If any of your details change, please let us know as soon as possible by using the contact details below so we can maintain the accuracy of your personal information.
How can you access and correct your personal information?
We will comply with any request to access your personal information except where the Privacy Act or the APPs allow us to refuse to do so. There is no fee for making a request to access your personal information but we may charge a fee for giving you access to your personal information in a mutually agreed format, usually by sighting the accessible information held on file. You also have the right to ask us to correct information about you that is inaccurate, incomplete, out-of-date, irrelevant or misleading. If we refuse to correct your personal information as requested, we must:
- Notify you in writing of the reasons for the refusal (unless it would be unreasonable to do so) and how to complain of the refusal; and
- Upon request from you that we associate a statement that the information is inaccurate, incomplete, out-of-date, irrelevant or misleading, take such steps are as reasonable in the circumstances to associate such a statement so that it will be apparent to users of the information.
If you were a shareholder and wish to access your details that Link Market Services holds about you, please contact Link Market Services on (02) 8280 7788.
Links to other websites
How can I contact Australian Gas Networks?
If you have any questions or complaints about how we handle your personal information, you can contact our Privacy Officer as follows:
PO Box 6468
HALIFAX STREET SA 5000
|Phone:||(08) 8418 1130|
We will consider and respond to any complaint notified to us within a reasonable time, usually 30 days. We will always endeavour to resolve any complaint to the satisfaction of both parties.
Australian Privacy Commissioner
If you are not satisfied with the way in which we handle your enquiry or complaint, you can contact the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner on Tel: 1300 363 992 or email: email@example.com.