Connecting your home to natural gas
Whether you own an existing home, moving into another property, or in the process of building a new home, find all the information you need to make connecting to natural gas as smooth and simple as possible.
Need to know your MIRN? Read more below, or submit your MIRN enquiry here.
Connection process - existing home
It's easy to connect your existing home to natural gas. We've outlined the steps for you below:
1. Call our Customer Service Team on 1300 001 001 (contact hours: Mon-Fri, 8am-5pm AEST) to confirm that natural gas is available to your property.
- You can lodge a new connection request with us after you've confirmed gas availability.
2. We'll send an APA Group representative to determine where the gas meter needs to be located.
- Once the gas meter location has been marked, you should get in touch with a gasfitter for an estimate on what work is required to connect your appliances from the meter location to in and around your home. If you need some help finding a gasfitter for this step, use our find a gas appliance fitter directory or our find an appliance retailer directory.
3. Contact our Customer Service Team again to confirm your connection. You'll need to supply the following information:
- Your details - property address, full name, best contact details.
- Your gasfitter details: name, phone number, and gasfitter license number (PGE license number).
- What appliances are going to be installed - this helps us with making sure the right sized meter is installed.
4. We'll arrange one of our contractors to lay your inlet service (i.e. the connection from the gas main in the street to the meter location on your property).
- At this stage, you should arrange for your chosen gasfitter to install your natural gas appliances and outlet service (i.e. the pipework from the gas meter location to your appliances).
- Once your inlet is installed, we'll leave a card advising you to arrange a meter installation via your preferred gas retailer. In South Australia, you can only request a gas meter installation from AGL, Energy Australia, or Origin Energy. Currently, Origin Energy is the only energy retailer servicing the Tanunda, Nuriootpa, Angaston, Freeling, Murray Bridge, and Mount Gambier regions. For more information, check out our find a gas energy retailer page.
- You will need to be home during the meter installation and you should try to book this with at least two business days’ notice.
If you've just moved into a home that already has a gas meter installed, simply contact a natural gas energy retailer to confirm gas supply and to establish a natural gas billing account.
We often have special promotions on the go for our customers. For example? You could be eligible for $1000 in rebates, if you're in an existing home customer connecting to natural gas for the first time and connecting at least one major gas appliance! For more information (and full Terms and Conditions), go to our promotions page.
Connection process - new home
Are you building a new home and want to connect it to natural gas? If so:
1. Speak to your builder or developer about connecting to gas.
- They'll lodge a new connection request on your behalf with us, and we'll get our contractors to install the inlet service (i.e. the connection from the gas main in the street to the meter location on your property).
- You should talk to your builder about what kind of appliances you want installed.
2. Once the inlet service is installed, you can then call your preferred energy retailer to request a gas meter installation.
- Your builder may be able to submit this request on your behalf, so talk to them first.
- Gas meter installation requests can only be accepted by some energy retailers in SA. For more information, check out our find a gas energy retailer page.
To find out if natural gas is available in your area, or if you have questions on how to connect to natural gas, contact our Customer Service Team on 1300 001 001 (contact hours: Mon-Fri, 8am-5pm AEST) or contact us.
Confirming your MIRN
As part of the new connection process, your property will be given a Meter Installation Registration Number (MIRN). Your MIRN will show up in the information that we send you, and you must also quote this MIRN to your chosen energy retailer when you request a gas meter installation. If you would like confirmation of your MIRN, please complete our MIRN enquiry form and a member of our Addressing team will get in touch with you. This service is only available to customers in South Australia, and in Mildura (Victoria). If you are a customer outside of these regions, you can contact your energy retailer to find out your MIRN.
How gas is connected
Many homes in our network have a gas main in their street. If this is the case, it’s a simple process for a specialised team to connect natural gas to your property. The connection runs from the gas main to your property, where a gas outlet service is installed by a gas fitter and then connected to your appliances.
How your gas meter works
Your gas meter is used to accurately measure the volume of gas you use and to safely regulate gas flow. A gas meter reading will then be taken at frequent intervals (generally, every quarter) to ensure accurate billing. Your meter location will be based on a number of factors, and we always consider where you prefer this to be installed in our assessment.