1800 898 220
Gas has played an integral role in the history of Port Pirie after it was first introduced to the town in 1892. To commemorate 100 years of gas in Port Pirie, eight gas street lights were donated to the community by the South Australian Gas Company, and these street lights burn brightly to this day.
While gas street lamps have been systematically replaced with electric lighting, Port Pirie is one of the few communities with an operational display. To the residents of Port Pirie, these lamps are a nostalgic reminder of the role that natural gas has played in the history of the town, as well as a tangible symbol that it will be important in shaping the town's future as natural gas continues its renewable gas journey.